I’m a hugh fan of the original business model canvas (BMC), developed and published by Alex Osterwalder some years ago. Since that, the BMC became the standard worldwide to design and improve business models.
On the same time new business model types came up, especially the “platform” or “networked” based models. This models integrate more than 2 parties to have business with. Using the original BMC to design such platform BM is hard and requires a lot of imagination by the “designer” and the involved stakeholders.
Based on that limitation I started to “update” to BMC to the platform thinking.
- platforms integrate a minimum of 3 stakeholders – platform owner, producer and consumers
- each of them have a interaction with each other
- for each of them the platform creates a value proposition
- main target group for the canvas is the platform owner to design or improve the business model
- therefore we must also consider the more elements to better plan the platform and the business behind
Please find below a first sketch of the Platform Business Model Canvas (short PBMC).
I’m open for comments. Thanks in advance.